The National Achievement Award recognises an individual who has:
- an established history of distinguished service to the vocational education and training (VET) sector
- made a lasting contribution to VET practice
- exhibited leadership and provided inspiration to others in the VET sector
- positively influenced VET on a state, national or international level.
The National Achievement Award is presented in recognition of an individual's outstanding leadership and contribution to the VET sector for up to 25 years. This may be a new innovation, new knowledge, or ways to improve professional practice deemed to be above and beyond the everyday with a long lasting positive influence and impact in the sector.
Selection of the nominee is made on the basis of the candidate's significant, fundamental contributions to the VET sector (whether in research, leadership, mentorship or other) and the lasting impact of these contributions to the sector.
Please note that self-nominations will be considered ineligible.
Nominees should have:
- made a positive impact on the VET sector [at either state/territory or national level]
- earned recognition by other industry, training, education or employer groups;
- the respect of professional peers
- demonstrated, over an extended period of time a contribution which has included either research, industry achievement, professional leadership and service to the VET community
- personal integrity
- less than 25 years of service to VET (if the nominee has 25 years, or more, of sustained service to vocational education and training then please consider nominating for the Lifetime Achievement Award).
must be currently working in the VET sector to be eligible for this award
should be permanent residents of Australia.
Selection Process and Key Dates
|Selection Process||Key Dates|
|Nominate directly to the Australian Training Awards.||Open: 1 December 2016|
|Nominations are shortlisted.||Closing 31 May 2017|
|The recipient is announced at the Australian Training Awards presentation dinner event in Canberra, ACT.||November 2017|
Section A: Overview
Provide a short overview of the person, their achievements and the reason for the nomination.
Section B: Nominees will be assessed against the following criteria:
Criterion 1: History of service
The nominee’s history of service to the VET sector - in particular, positions of leadership the nominee has held such as on boards or as chair of committees. Any other known history, such as participation on committees and workgroups, and any examples of the nominee representing the VET sector officially as a liaison to other organisations or at state or national meetings.
Provide examples to demonstrate the impact and outcomes achieved for the VET sector through the nominees involvement with boards, committees etc.
Criterion 2: Significant contribution and positive influence on the VET sector
The nominee’s significant contribution(s) to the advancement of vocational education and training practice, including teaching or training positions or programs, awards or recognition from professional or industry groups and institutions, innovative approaches to difficulties. How will the nominee’s story inspire others to higher standards in their work or to raise the communities’ perception of the VET sector?
Include evidence of how the nominee works to advance and champion VET.
Provide examples of the significant contributions made to VET by the nominee.
Criterion 3: Leadership
The nominee’s leadership in the field of vocational education and training including, but not limited to, positively influencing policy or practice on a state, national or international level. This may include Government committees and workgroups, advocacy, senior positions, other training, mentoring or committee participation. How have they “made a difference” in some way?
Provide examples to demonstrate how the nominee’s leadership positively influences VET and has led to lasting impacts.
Applications for this award are made through the Australian Training Awards, AwardsForce portal.
Register an account
Read important information
Start your entry (save it in-progress)
Confirm agreement with the declaration by selecting the tick boxes
Submit your entry.