The Small Employer of the Year Award recognises a small business that employs 19 or fewer full-time equivalent employees, and has achieved excellence in the provision of 'nationally recognised training' to its employees.
Nationally recognised training’ refers to training that is based on a national training package or accredited course which results in a person receiving a formal qualification or Statement of Attainment issued by a Registered Training Organisation. This includes Australian Apprenticeships.
Applicants from NSW, SA and WA should APPLY HERE.
Applicants from ACT, QLD, VIC, TAS and NT should apply through their state or territory training awards.
Note: some state and territory awards processes have alerady closed for 2017.
To nominate, an organisation must:
- meet the Conditions of Entry requirements
- employ 19 or fewer full-time equivalent employees.
The Australian Training Awards will accept joint applications from:
a Group Training Organisation who partners with a Host Employer
a Host Employer who partners with a Group Training Organisation.
Nominations will not be accepted from:
- branch offices of larger enterprises (NB: franchisees may nominate if their training activities are organised independently of the franchise group); and/or
- organisations whose core business is the delivery of vocational education and training (these organisations may consider nominating for either the Large or Small Training Provider of the Year Award).
Selection Process and Key Dates
|Selection Process||Key Dates|
Apply directly to the Australian Training Awards
Open: 1 December 2016
Close: 31 May 2017
|Finalists and unsuccessful applicants notified||July 2017|
|Finalists attend a judging interview in Canberra||22 November 2017|
|Winner is announced at the Australian Training Awards presentation dinner event in Canberra||23 November 2017|
Preparing your application
Section A: Overview
This information will not be considered or used for short listing or judging purposes, but it may be used as a summary of your organisation throughout the Awards process.
- Industry sector
- Main business location
- Number of employees
- Business structure (e.g. sole trader, partnership, trust, company)
- Length of time in operation (years)
- Your training expenditure as a percentage of annual payroll
Provide a brief description of your business, including the products/services that you offer and any major milestones you have achieved.
(limit: 500 words)
Addressing the criteria
This information will be considered and used for short listing and judging purposes. Please be aware that your responses to the criteria will be strengthened by the inclusion of measurable results and appropriate indicators (including customer satisfaction data and other types of external validation).
Note: The considerations listed under each criterion are provided to clarify what to include when writing against the criteria.
Criterion 1: Extent and quality of training for employees*
Describe the training that your small business is involved in. Include the following:
- the qualifications or courses that your employees are undertaking
- number of employees actively engaged in training
- the training organisations that are delivering the training
- briefly tell the story of an innovative training approach you are using (e.g. mentoring, e-learning, collaborative learning).
(limt: 800 words)
* Your training organisation could assist you with this criterion.
Criterion 2: Employee Outcomes
How has training benefited your employees? Include the following:
- how training has improved the well-being of your employees
- how training has improved the productivity of your employees
- briefly tell the story of an employee who has benefited the most from training.
(limt: 800 words)
Criterion 3: Business Outcomes
How has training benefited your business? Include the following:
- how training has improved your relationships with clients
- how training has improved the productivity and profitability of your business
- briefly tell the story of how your business has grown as a result of training.
(limt: 800 words)
How to Apply
Applications for this award are made directly to the Australian Training Awards.
Register an account
Read important information
Start your entry (save it in-progress)
Confirm agreement with the declaration by selecting the tick boxes
Submit your entry.